Wednesday, September 19, 2007

“Oh Where for Art Thou Next Estate Auction”?


The affection for “all things old” began many years ago when I was just a small child. My “Grandma” taught me at the tender age of 8 the fine art of collecting. Friday evenings were spent closely scrutinizing the local newspaper for just the right “Garage Sale” ad. Once that was complete our route was carefully laid out. Come the next morning we were off! Oh the anticipation – would there be Barbie Dolls and clothes? Maybe a pedal car? What about a game or two?

Nah – none of that “stuff” for me. I needed “glass” beautiful cut glass in colors and intricate designs, perfume bottles, porcelain tea sets, crystal dresser sets.

Now that I’m all grown up, I still have a need for my “glass”. My venue for purchasing has changed, now it’s Estate Auctions! Love Them!!!! “One Stop Shopping” for the collector – a wonderful concept. My hometown is of average size, so these outings are what my auction going friends and I consider to be a “Social Affair”. We visit, browse and bid.

I have purchased some wonderful items, an iridescent carnival glass paper weight, Spode Cornucopia Vase, vintage Vogue sewing patterns, Betty Grable sewing patterns, and postcards from France during WWII. To see many of my vintage items visit me http://www.chisumtrailmercantile.ecrater.com/

The auction circuit has been pretty quiet this summer (too hot). Don’t these auctioneers understand that I NEED an auction? Three months without one is too much for one to bear. I’d grovel if I though it do any good -


2 comments:

Christina DelCoro/Richard McDuff said...

I love a good estate auction too! Living in a small town brings big crowds whenever there is one advertised around here.

Chisum Trail Mercantile said...

And what about those box lots? There's nothing better!